How to surprise your new exchange student?
The most awaited moment has arrived, the new member of the family is about to arrive. The journey now begins for the start of an amazing cultural journey for all involved.
In the following article, we give some small but very meaningful tips that will allow you to surprise your new exchange student:
Now that you are an international host, you have become an ambassador of Canadian culture, values, hospitality and history. Next, it’s time to get down to work and include in your new life the local customs and traditions that you will make your own throughout your exchange time.
Important actions to kick off a new experience
1. Prepare a comfortable room to receive your new member, you could include some details that reflect a bit of their home. For example, a flag or a small detail that alludes to their country of origin.
2. Make a calendar that reflects the most important dates of the country or province; this way it will be much easier for the exchange student to know the moments that are part of Canadian history. Don’t just stay there, include birthdays and family celebrations in the calendar.
3. Welcome the student with a delicious typical meal.
4. Ask the exchange student what cultural facts about Canada surprise him/her the most and feed the information he/she has with historical facts.
5. If you have children and they go to the same school, ask them to collaborate in the adaptation process; this will be one of the most efficient ways to establish new friendships in the school environment.
6. Open your heart to listen with affection, love and support during this new experience. This will strengthen the bond of security with the entire family.
7. Surprise at the airport with a special detail, a small welcome sign and a strong hug that from the first moment makes the new family member feel at home.
These are some tips or perhaps recommendations we have to start an unforgettable experience in the best possible way. Keep your heart open and fearlessly share the warmth of your home.